For class Friday, please watch the video posted on this BBC page. (Do NOT read the article– watch the video on blindness first.)
After watching the video, posted on BBC– a source many of us use to follow the news– come to the carpet and discuss this video as a class:
- Did this video leave you with questions? If so, what were they?
- What did this video make you think?
- Is this a BBC News video?
- If not, what is it?
- What is an infomercial? Are infomercials negative or positive?
- What is the concern with videos like this posted on the BBC?
When I first came across this video, I wondered why it was completely told through Neuroscientist Sheila Nirenberg’s point-of-view. The video only shared her perspective and was not told through a neutral voice. What is wrong with that?
Now read the article below the video. Compare and contrast the article to the video.
Knowing what you learned in our first unit, respond in the comments section below with criticism about this video in 3-5 sentences.
After you finished, please spend some time working on your presentation for Monday.